What Are You Working On?

Discussion in 'Fortnite Discussion' started by FortniteHub, Dec 18, 2018.

1. FortniteHub

FortniteHub Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to the 'What Are You Working On?' thread where members talk about their upcoming projects built in Fortnite's new creative mode! If you want to discuss something that is not specific enough for it's own thread please post it here. It is encouraged that any engaging discussion that starts to form around a specific topic to be posted in its own thread.

This thread is meant as a place to discuss the following:

-upcoming projects
    -design concepts and philosophy
    -Fortnite Creative Mode -related questions
    -testing sessions for your current map(s)
    -occasional off-topic

II SEGA USA II likes this.
  2. WARHOLIC

WARHOLIC Administrator

Hi everyone, my name is Nik (aka WARHOLIC) and I'm one of the administrators here at FortniteHub. I hope to support and share work created by the community as I'm very passionate about level design and love making things with in game editors. I really hope we can build a community around Fortnite's creative mode because there are so many benefits of sharing your work with others. Whether you're having trouble understanding something, need help or want some general feedback on whatever your making, a collective community can provide all the resources you need to be a better creator. I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for the help I've received in the past and hope that I can continue to "pay it forward". I helped create and grow a community of level designers for the Halo franchise at http://www.forgehub.com/ and hope to do the same once more with all of you here. Its going to be a slow process but overtime I think we will all be able to come together and achieve great things!

Sgt Slaphead and II SEGA USA II like this.
  3. WARHOLIC

WARHOLIC Administrator

Thought I would share a few community made maps that I found online here. Creative Mode is less than a week old and people are already doing amazing things with it.

The Pit (Halo 3 Remake)
    by Purple Planet

Terminal (MW2 Remake)
    by Benji
    Dt62eKNW4AAG-J-.jpg

Highrise (MW2 Remake)
    by JrmuscleYT , I_AM_WILDCAT and CRAmerican388
    DusIWPDU0AAwgA0.jpg

#3 WARHOLIC, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  4. Sethiroth

Sethiroth Staff

I guess I will be the first to kick this off. Hello everyone

Nitro and WARHOLIC like this.
  5. fame28

fame28 Marine

In before Goat gets here and says Fortnite is dog. Lol seriously though this is cool to see a website a nice organized for Fortnite creations. I was bored one late night and made a quick version of warlock (textures subject to be changed)

[​IMG]

6. WARHOLIC

WARHOLIC Administrator

We just released a new creative mode map contest with $1,500 in total prizing! Take a look by clicking the image below:
    ContestHeader.jpg

II SEGA USA II and fame28 like this.
  7. fame28

fame28 Marine

I sent a link for the contest to all of the main Fortnite Instagram pages that share clips and maps, so hopefully they re-share and it brings in a lot of people to the site.

8. WARHOLIC

WARHOLIC Administrator

Hey thanks so much Fame, that really helps! This is the hard part of starting anything new, its difficult for people to find this place without telling them ;)

Sgt Slaphead, a Chunk and fame28 like this.
  9. RayBenefield

RayBenefield Marine

I've got two and soon to be a third in testing:

* Stormbreaker - An initially tunnel raid inspired mini-game where teams push towards the center, and destroy the other teams supports for their tunnel to destroy the enemy's side of the "tunnel"
    * Voltron - A bomberman like mini game where a pickaxe is your only real weapon, but you use speed boosts and electric fences to "claim" territory and deal passive damage
    * Overwatch - A stealth based game mode using silenced pistols where you must leave your cover in order to acquire ammo and heals

And lots more ideas on the way of course...

10. ZombieDyer

ZombieDyer Marine

here before waywo 2.0 descends into madness

11. WARHOLIC

WARHOLIC Administrator

You've always been innovative when it came to developing new and fun modes. I remember some of your projects from Halo Reach the most :) You had a chess like mode that players could be granted armor abilities temporarily. Then a mode that was like musical chairs, getting into safe zone boxes to avoid explosive damage outside of them. Lots of others like these too

#11 WARHOLIC, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Sgt Slaphead and RayBenefield like this.
  12. WARHOLIC

WARHOLIC Administrator

We just acquired the @fortniteHub twitter account today so we'll be using that from now on. Be sure to follow if you want to stay up to date with our content moving forward into the new year!

Twitter: @FortniteHub

13. II SEGA USA II

Nothing yet, TBA!

14. RayBenefield

RayBenefield Marine

My bomberman-style board game map is working out nicely and I think will be the next map I publish if a particular bug doesn't crop up in publishing. This is how it works:

Players have extra low gravity... Speed Boosts and Traps spawn in that you can place to fill intersections of a grid (these cannot be destroyed). Use a chain of speed boosts to lure players to your territory that houses your traps. Electrical fences can be picked up and used to re-enforce your area and with the low grav it keeps people trapped in your corner. Slurps can be used to keep yourself alive as you traverse your map and give you enough health padding to take on pickaxe battles to clean out strays from your territory. As time moves on, more and more spaces on the grid are filled with traps and speed boosts and traversing the map to farm up gets harder and harder to do without making a mistake.

II SEGA USA II likes this.
  15. II SEGA USA II

I have managed to figure out the basics of constructing with prefabs and galleries & I have found a way to change islands and reset the canvas as needed...but I really only have one question?

Are all the building assets in fortnite destructible, and if so how do we create a death match level limiting the ability of the player to short cut the paths and verticality of the map layouts?

Don't get me wrong, I understand we need to design around the game mechanics, but is there any way so far to solidify the assets to create an objective map to contain players in a give style of game play???

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    SEGA.

Sethiroth likes this.
  16. RayBenefield

RayBenefield Marine

There is an indestructible palette for game modes where you allow destruction of the environment, but only want certain pieces to be indestructible.

In addition there is a game setting in "My Island" that allows you to turn off building damage all together for game modes where you don't want players breaking the pre-built structures.

fame28 and II SEGA USA II like this.
  17. II SEGA USA II

18. RayBenefield

RayBenefield Marine

Well with my Covet map out of the way. Next thing to focus on is to polish and rebuild a couple of my simpler mini games to improve the quality. I've created Sumo in 15 mins on stream, which really needs a more efficient build and a few missing features that I could add in. I've also got my Stormbreaker tunnel raid map that needs to be built over water so I don't have a huge trapbox for containment. And I'm waiting for a trap/device patch for my Voltron map. I started working on a new game mode based around grenade launchers. I'm excited to tweak that until it is fun. :D

WARHOLIC and II SEGA USA II like this.
  19. Advancedvideo

Advancedvideo Marine

Im working on what i call Prison Towers as it is based on a layout of a prison and many prefabs of tilted towers. All buildings are interconnected to each other. From the spawn point you need to glide down to the main area, DONT GET CAUGHT OUTSIDE IT. lol You will surely die. Once down into the main prison explore all the buildings and try to remember where you are lol. I hope you like it all comments are welcome. Thank You Screenshot (28) (Small).png Screenshot (29) (Small).png Screenshot (30) (Small).png Screenshot (31) (Small).png Screenshot (32) (Small).png Screenshot (33) (Small).png Screenshot (34) (Small).png Screenshot (35) (Small).png Screenshot (36) (Small).png Screenshot (37) (Small).png Screenshot (39) (Small).png Screenshot (40) (Small).png

20. Sethiroth

Sethiroth Staff

@Advancedvideo That looks pretty good so far. Good verity in the building heights and shapes. Kinda wish there was some more verity in the texture you used or some props that hang on the wall. Doesn't have to be a large amount just something to break up the constant brick texture. Also Welcome to FortniteHUB